Thursday, October 7, 2010

God In 2010

It seems to me that God has just become a figure of speech or just a word in a phrase. Religion doesn't really seem to take up a major role in many people's lives. This might only be the case from a Chicagoan's point of view since this city is extremely diverse and so is Whitney Young. I feel if I went somewhere other than Chicago, as long as it isn't as busy as Chicago, I might find more religious individuals although it really depends on the people themselves whether they follow a religion, not the state they're in or the city.

God seems to only be important when people are in need now days. People call on him during the hard times in their lives such as: they lost their job, or someone close to them has passed. People don't seem to acknowledge in the way he should be on a regular basis: thank you for waking me up this morning, thanks for guiding me through my day, thanks for bringing individuals that care about me and my future/well being into my life, etc. Also, God seems to be called upon for people's selfish reasons as well: Dear god...Please let me get that new XBox with W.O.W and Call of Duty for my birthday, or God, I just want to grow up and be rich...you think you can make that happen? Okay...cool!

Personally, I don't care what people confront God with since it isn't any of my business, but I just feel that their confrontation should be well rounded. I also feel that people should understand that God isn't Santa Claus, handing out free gifts, he only helps those that help themselves. So basically, GOD isn't an insignificant leaning post on the corner of 63rd and Lake Park Ave., and you may say "OH MY GOD!!!" but do you really treat him like (he) is yours, acknowledging (him) as you should?

1 comment:

  1. I like the last part. I agree overall too, it seems like we look to God in hard times.

    ReplyDelete